Dear Life

Monday, August 13, 2007

dear life 92

Dear life,
It was Saturday, the weekend; I wore my swimsuit (the blue one, do you remember, the one I bought a couple of weeks before leaving Tehran? no not for here, for the Fridays we were still to enjoy there) and headed to the pool on the rooftop to have a swim in the middle of a very low day, maybe to help raise my spirits. I had been told that the pool is busy during weekends, but nothing could have prepared me for the crowd I saw around and in the pool. No place to lie down for a tan, no way to swim, as people were hanging out, relaxing as of course it was their weekend, laughing, talking in groups of two or three. I stayed for while, sitting in a not-crowded corner away from the pool, reading and staring over the city of Washington spreading all around the building, but I couldn’t stay long, just couldn’t, not the heat, you idiot, you know I enjoy the heat, no, it was just too much to bear, the situation, I needed a swim to get this lowness out of myself, but instead I found myself going more and more down. The weekend is kind of our Friday, and for me Friday at least during this summer has been equal to throwing pool parties and having friends over, drinks in one shared bowl, Shatoot (kind of berries not found in this side of the world) right from the tree, kabobs and sandwiches right next to the pool, music in the garden, hookah afterwards, cakes and sweets, taking a nap - a day of fun and relaxation, similar to what was going on on the rooftop - and so sitting there I felt an stranger, just missing so badly our own pool which felt like a haven, surrounded with trees standing tall into the air, with the sound of birds hiding in between, and with friend’s laughters vibrating the air around, a joy that nothing in the world can make up for. So, yesterday I made a decision: no more swimming in the rooftop pool on weekends - at least not during the busy hours of the day, cause on Sunday morning when I woke up I so needed a swim that I took the risk to head upstairs, but it was eight in the morning and safe I was.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home